Friday, January 16, 2009

Bloom Day, January 2009



This is the first time I have participated in Bloom Day, and I am not entirely sure how this works but here goes.

There is pathetically little in my garden right now -- the violas and pansies are completely flattened by last night's 8 degrees (above, this is northern Virginia not Minnesota!), and even the mahonia is not opening its buds yet. The snowdrops have shown their noses but with no flowers so far, and the helleborus niger's buds are just showing but not open. So, here is a picture of my big white cymbidium in the sun porch, and one of the mahonia's buds. Maybe by February's Bloom Day there will be something going on.

My dear mother-in-law lived in Chicago all her life, and she had a little oldfashioned poem that she would recite when winter got too much for her:

"I heard a bird sing in the dark of December,
We are nearer to spring than we were in September."

1 comment:

Carol Michel said...

I've heard that verse before, and it is so true, every day we are closer to spring.

Welcome to bloom day and thanks for joining in. I hope it didn't get too cold in your garden!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens