Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The banks in front



I've been thinking about the "lasagne" method of making a new flower bed -- I used it a couple of times when I was planting the banks in front of the house in order to eliminate the need to mow them.  It is really simple to do, and I am surprised that more people don't do it.  No need to nag at the strong back people in the household, no digging, no removal of sod, just save your newspapers until you have enough to cover the area 5 pages thick, enough mulch to cover the paper with 4 inches of mulch, and Bob's your uncle.  You can even plant immediately, if you are an impatient person like me.  The photos show the bank in front of my house at the conclusion of seven hours of hard labour on the part of my friend Martha and me.  All the plants flourished, and have spread and filled in beautifully.  Maybe it was the sweat with which we watered them that day!


2 comments:

dmarks said...

It grows well. Reminds me to do more flower pics in my blog.

Anonymous said...

The Lasagne Method! I just bought that book!